O2: Information Architecture and Data Utilization
Arnaud Masson (European Space Astronomy Centre - ESAC, Spain), Arnaud.Masson@esa.int
Shing Fung (NASA GSFC, USA), firstname.lastname@example.org
Daniel Heynderickx (DH Consultancy, Belgium), DHConsultancy@skynet.be
The ISWAT Overarching Cluster on Information Architecture and Data Utilization facilitates the development of a global network of distributed web-based resources for space weather research, analysis, forecasting and capabilities assessment. Data Utilization focuses on issues regarding the preparation, finding, and accessing of observational and model data sets that are needed as input to support various space weather research activities, such as data assimilation, model development, data science and model analyses. This Overarching ISWAT cluster supports all of the ISWAT Clusters and objectives by facilitating access of and optimizing the use of available data resources. Inforamtion Architecture and Data Utilization overlaps with the other Overarching Activities: Assessment and Innovative Solutions.
- Metadata standards to describe both observational data and model outputs.
- Data format standards.
- Data discovery and access protocol standards (API).
- Interoperability tools. Access, interpolation and analysis software.
- Assessing data sources that are relevant for space weather research and forecasting.
- Providing calibrated, standardized data sets (preferably with error bars).
- Using available data to optimize space weather models through data assimilation or ensemble methods.
- Understanding how advanced data science methods such as deep learning can advance our forecasting capabilities and expand our comprehension of space weather processes
COSPAR PSW Resolutions on metadata and data access:
- International Heliophysics Data Environment Alliance (IHDEA)
- Space Physics Archive Search and Extract (SPASE)
- Integrated Medium for Planetary Exploration (IMPEx)
- Digital Object Identifier (DOI)
- Information Architecture for Interactive Archives (IAIA) Working Team