COSPAR Panel on Space Weather
PSW Home | Terms of Reference | Appointed PSW Members | Upcoming Events | Space Weather Roadmap | ISWAT
Chair and Vice-Chairs
Maria (Masha) Kuznetsova (NASA, USA), (email@example.com), 2017 - 2024
- Joaquim E.R. Costa (INPE, Brazil), 2021 – 2024
- Sharafat Gadimova (UNOOSA), 2018 – 2022
- Nat Gopalswamy (NASA, USA), 2021 – 2024
- Hermann Opgenoorth (ESSC, Sweden), 2017 – 2024*
Appointed PSW Members 2020-2024
Terms of Reference
Updated Terms of Reference adopted on 19 July, 2018:
COSPAR Panel on Space Weather Resolution on Metadata Standards. Accepted at COSPAR PSW Business Meeting on July 18, 2018 (revised December 6, 2018)
COSPAR Panel on Space Weather Resolution on Data Access. Accepted at COSPAR PSW Business Meeting on July 18, 2018
COSPAR-ILWS Space Weather Roadmap
The global COSPAR ILWS space weather roadmap for 2015 – 2025 (Advances in Space Research, 2015: DOI: 10.1016/j.asr.2015.03.023) provided an assessment of the field of space weather from the scientific and end-user viewpoints, and identified missing links in our scientific understanding, modeling capabilities and observational coverage.
- Understanding space weather to shield society: A global roadmap for 2015–2025,
commissioned by COSPAR and ILWS
- Executive summary
The roadmap made several recommendations on development of observational and modeling capabilities, on building global infrastructure optimizing utilization of existing space weather resources, and on creating coordinated, collaborative, information-sharing environment that brings together international scientific and operational communities and impacted societal groups.
COSPAR Space Weather Roadmap 2022
The COSPAR Space Weather Roadmap [Schrijver et al., 2015] is in need of updating approximately every five years as per the COSPAR Panel on Space Weather Terms of Reference. This is also needed for and by the community as a whole so that the Roadmap remains current and valid. The scope and coverage of the Roadmap can be assessed each time the update period comes around.
During the COSPAR ISWAT Inaugural Working Meeting in February 2020 it was agreed through detailed discussions that the process of Roadmap updating will be community driven with an outcome of the efforts to be encapsulated in two Special Issues of Advances in Space Research (ASR), COSPAR’s in-house journal:
- Announcements of Special Issues of Advances in Space Research
- COSPAR Space Weather Roadmap 2022 Research and Applications Announcement: deadline 31 January 2021
- COSPAR Space Weather Roadmap 2022 Achievements and Goals Announcement: deadline 30 June 2022
International Space Weather Action Teams
To accelerate implementation of Roadmap recommendations and regular Roadmap updates, and to address the need for agile responses to new scientific advances and emerging societal requirements, the PSW is hosting an International Space Weather Action Teams (ISWAT) initiative.
COSPAR ISWAT Website is Live! (click here to see the announcement).
- Mini-ISWAT Virtual Meeting Series, Feb - Jun 2021 (click here for details)
- G2A Atmosphere Variability, 22-26 February 2021 (click here for details and videos of the presentations)
- G3-05 Solar Energetic Particle Population in Geospace, 25 February 2021 (click here for details)
- O2 Information Architecture 15-17 March 2021 (click here for details and session recordings)
- On-line Radio Heliophysics Catch-up, 10-13 May, 2021 (click here for details)
- H1-H2 CME Propagation Through Ambient Solar Wind, 24-25 June, 2021 (click here for details)
- S2-01 Coronal Hole Boundary Working Team Meeting, 30 June, 2021 (click here for details)
- COSPAR ISWAT 2nd Working Meeting: Towards Community-Driven Living COSPAR Space Weather Roadmap
- Part 1 (virtual), Coimbra, Portugal, 13-17 September, 2021
- Part 2 (virtual), RAL, UK, 27 September - 1 October, 2021
- COSPAR ISWAT 3rd Working Meeting, Coimbra, Portugal (in-person), 28 March - 1 April, 2022
- COSPAR ISWAT Inaugural Working Meeting, February 10-14, 2020 (click here to view plenary presentations, including teams/clusters reports and action plans)
COSPAR Scientific Assembly, Sydney, Australia, January 28 - February 4, 2021 (click here for details of PSW events)